1. GP UAV Lab - Geomatics and Photogrammetric UAV Lab
Scientific director: M. Di Fonzo
The Geomatics and Photogrammetric UAV Lab aims to widen and experiment innovative methods for the analysis and elaboration of spatial data, making use of the best technologies and methodologies within the context of the local information systems. The laboratory will employ cutting-edge technology (such as drones) and geographic information systems for the geospatial analysis.
The topics covered, are extremely relevant both from a national and an international point of view, and are aimed to develop specific competencies related to the work of the public employees performing tasks related the analysis and management of spatial data based on GIS systems(cartography, geodesy, land mapping, photogrammetry, idrography, remote sensing, geographic information systems).
- Calibration and verification of digital cameras and sensors realized through the digital acquisition of a systematically defined object with predefined parameters.
- APR Test, capacity of the medium to realize specific activities.
- Procedures and flight plans, verification of the implementing arrangemenrs related to a specific activity.
- Acquired imaging, verification and testing in relation to the conditions of a specific activity (types of sensors, spectrum, Ground Sample Distance).
- Review of the digital topographic support system and subsequent procedure of orientation.
- Preliminary verification of the rendering software (SfMStructure from Motion, bundle adjustment, triangulation, etc.) in function of the producer.
- Assessment of the quality of return value, in function of specific data (ortophoto, photoplan, 3D model, DTM, DSM)
- Assessment of the quality of Digital Terrain Models
- Congruence in the generation of database and geo-database.
2. DEI - Digital Experience and Innovation Lab
Scientific director: M. Dibitonto
The aim of the Digital Experience and Innovation Lab is to explore the new frontiers of the relationship between humans and technology through the scenarios introduced by Internet of Things, Ambient Intelligence and Natural Interaction, using the design-thinking approach as a toool for socio-cultural innovation.
The laboratory is equipped with digital fabrication tools, such as 3D printers, CNC machines, electronic boards such as Arduino and Raspberry allowing the realization of high-level prototypes.
- Design and Test of New Interfaces;
- Experimentation of New Interactive Technologies;
- Rapid Prototyping;
3. LUA - Laboratory of Usability and Accessibility
Scientific director: E. Sciarretta
The Laboratory of Usability and Accessibility is a space designed to support the process of user centered design. This research structure provides tools and competencies required in order to conduct tests and evaluations on existing products and prototypes. The researchers may use such tools for design purposes or in order to attain Usability Certifications and Accessibility Certifications.
- Usability Evaluation
- Accessibility Evaluation
- Tests with users
- Audio and Video recording of Test Sessions
- Eyetracker verification
- Analysis of Heat Maps
4. CDSM - Digital communication and social media
Scientific director: L. Parisi
The design and management of social strategies is absolutely vital in every area of social life. This research structure addresses three main issues: the use of social media in the in the political/institutional field; use of social media in contexts of crisis; social media and Internet of Things.
- Mapping the emerging use of the social media: in the communication among citizens, institutions, companies and politicians; in contexts of crisis; in the scenario of the Internet of things.
- Analyzing through the mediation offered by the social meida, the representation of the main topics of public debate.
- Designing and managing effective social engagement strategies.
- Designing virtual services, integrating the social media with the sector of social innovation, smart cities, telemedicine, infomobility and smart home.
- Planning and managing social communication crisis in a prompt, capilla and effective manner.
- Designing practical tools for the analysis of customer satisfaction.
- Providing training activities in the field of social media.
5. LIS - Social Innovation Laboratory Margherita Hack
Scientific directors: V. Volpi e A. Opromolla
The LIS “Margherita Hack” is a place of experimentation, research and encounter, favouring the exchange of knowlege and planning abilities between the University and the territory, through a participatory and collaborative approach which makes use of various methodologies of human-centered design. The laboratory is part of the activity of DASIC and refers to a network of universities and territorial institutions, created by the association Open Hub.
Educational workshops aimed at:
- Facilitating the learning processes on themes of social innovation;
- Facilitating the processes of civic activism at events and workshops;
- Facilitating the participatory planning of solutions and sustainable development strategies;
- Encourage an environmentally conscious behaviour ;
- Promoting methodologies and tools related to co-design, design thinking and visual facilitation.
6. TSW - Wireless Technologies and Systems
Scientific director: M. Costantini
Technological excellence is crucial for the attainment of a position of national and international fame in the field of Intelligence and Security.
The aim of this structure is to place its expertise at the service of various projects focused on Territorial Safety, Security Apparatus, Systems and Infrastructure, Education and Support Services. The technological offer is completed and integrated by the academic training activities.
The aforementioned competencies and skills are employable in the field of data processing (data gathering, data analysis, data forecasting, and data display).
The aim of the laboratory is to develop competencies in various fields, such as:
- Cyber-physical systems (sensor networks, light protocols, embedded systems)
- RFID and NFC
- indoor and outdoor localization systems
- Computer vision (object tracking, detection and recognition)
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Optimization systems
- Data analysis and Big Data (acquisition, data processing, pattern recognition, data mining, Decision Support Systems, Complex Event Processing, time series, data forecasting).
7. SILaB - Scientific Intelligence Laboratory
Scientific director: P. Giannetakis
SILAB Scientific Intelligence Laboratory, is a structure specialized in forensic and behavioural science applied to investigation and intelligence.
The activities carried out by this research facility are structured into two operative laboratories, and two fixed installations for the analysis of the crime scene. SILAB is the only research facility in Italy to provide a life-like experience, allowing the researchers to follow to the letter the digital forensic process.
The activities of the laboratory cover the following areas:
- Behavioral analysis
- Physical and Behavioral Biometrics
- Social Network Intelligence
- Human Intelligence & operational negotiation and critical dataset examination
- Digital Human Intelligence
- Dark web investigation
- Crowd management
- Cybercrime scene identification
- Digital forensic
AREA CRIME & FORENSIC LAB
- Crime Scene Investigation
- BPA Bloodstain Pattern Analysis
- Fingerprinting identification and analysis
- Cybercrime scene identification and analysis
- Forensic Ballistic
- Footprint and toolmark identification
- Forensic archeology and ground ispection (GPR METAL DETECTOR – ECO SCANNER )
- Forensic botany – entomology and geology
- Fiber examination
- Forensic Light Source Investigation
8. LVL - Link Vigamus Lab
Scientific director: R. Carbone
The aim of Link Vigamus Lab is to explore the narrative and symbolic potential of the videogame, with the ultimate goal of raising social awareness on the interactive media. This research structure experiments new solutions through the development of prototypes and the formulation of innovative methods of interaction. The end result will be an open challenge for the conventions of the medium, addressed through the documentation of the processes, and through the realization of studies and statistical surveys.
- Realization of interactive prototypes
- Development of extended interactive productions
- Experiments conducted in virtual reality/augmented reality/mixed reality.
- Training seminars on development tools
- Creation of specialist books on game studies
- Creation of specialist books game design
- Consultancy on research and development
- Organization of game jam and hackaton
9. LAMS – Modeling and Simulation Lab
Scientific director: S. Armenia
The aim of the Modeling and Simulation Lab is to create a specialized environment where to address and study complex and dynamic organizational structures, providing solutions and indications related to decisional processes.
The objectives of the laboratory are the following:
- providing tools for the analysis and the comprehension of highly complex and dynamic systems;
- promoting, studying and developing an innovative approach to problem-solving and decision-making, so as to provide a more precise definition of the policies within the context of the processes of organizational governance;
- carrying out scenario analysis, in order to facilitate the decisions related to the introduction of policies and innovative technologies.
This research laboratory promotes activities related to various areas:
- Governance Aziendale:Workforce recruitment, Analysis and forecasting, Warehouse management, etc.
- Socio-political and economic: Political conflicts, Population control, Discrimination phenomena, etc.
- Environment and Ecology: Pollution, Scarce Resources, Sutainability.